Sunday, November 16, 2008

No more Support, for you!

On October 25th, Tanya's company participated in the strides for breast cancer walk in Mobile. Now, being familiar with Relay for Life, we both expected the walk to be around a circular track with tents set-up along the track representing each of the companies that were there. The walk is 5 miles long and Tanya was going to push Kennedy (now 42 Lbs.) in our jogging stroller. Yes we own a jogging stroller. Anyway, we woke up early to head to Mobile and I being the great supportive husband I am decided to go along just in case Kennedy had some "issues". So I drop Kennedy and Tanya off at the gates to Cooper Riverside Park, near the convention center in downtown mobile. I go park in the parking garage and I am impressed by the number of people at the event. So I catch up with Tanya and Kennedy,and as we walk in the coordinator for Tanya's company hands me a form and tells us to head to the tables setup under a tent. The lady at the tent tells me I cannot get in unless I am registered. So, I register and get my sticker. We proceed into the park, and start looking for the tents, there are two. The medical tent and the main sponsor tent. So Tanya takes off to look for her group. Kennedy and I hang out until the group catches up with us. Then we here the announcement to line up for the start. So I follow along. Then the start gun goes off and everyone begins leaving the park...what!? Where is everyone going?

OK here is the deal, it is not a relay, it is a walk, ...through downtown Mobile. And I am registered to walk...how did this happen? I am here to support my wife! Cheer for her as she passes on her laps around the track. But no, I am now walking through downtown and not really prepared for it. P.S. Tanya's team is being led by an apparent professional speed walker, named Lisa. In a group of 4 thousand people, you would think that being in 30th place would be considered the front of the pack. Apparently, you are only considered up front if you are becoming intoxicated by the carbon monoxide coming from the tailpipe of the escort police car. So now we are speed walking. The first couple of miles were not bad, we made fun of each other and supported each other. Did I mention the jogging stroller. Tanya started with it, but it proved to be a little much, so around mile marker 2-3 I took over. Why? Why? I am so gullible for a woman in distress. So now I am pushing Kennedy. Not bad, proud dad taking on the challenge. Mile three was tough, but by mile four the endorphins had kicked in and I was feeling no pain. Finally the walk was over, we got a bag with a boa, cup, pen and some other information.

In addition, I had a strained Achilles tendon, pulled ligament in my left foot, cramps in both calves, and a slight bit of dehydration. It was a great Saturday. From now on, more information will be needed from anyone seeking my support.

No comments: